Thursday, September 30, 2010

Animal of the Day 9.30.2010



A gorilla at the Fort Worth Zoo. Although I hate zoos, I could literally spend an entire day in the primate exhibit. How can you not be amazed at these animals? The little "island" this gorilla is on leads to an exterior part of the inclosure where there is a waterfall, things for the gorillas to play with, and plenty of grass. Inside, where this picture was taken, there are thick glass dividers that you can look through on either end (onto the exterior). Every time I've been (only twice) there is always an enormous silverback hanging out by the glass wall. To be that close to an animal like that can be humbling. To see how many similarities we share is so odd. And to have a giant silverback stare into your eyes can be intimidating as hell, but still make your draw drop in amazement. 


This gorilla was pooping into it's right hand. Seconds later the poop was eaten. This, I wasn't so amazed with. 


The big guy looking at me. 



16 comments:

  1. its all fun and games, until you see them eat their own poo. Personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some good shots. I know you don't like the lack of freedom at the zoo, but some of those facilities are really hooked up.
    Powerful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a close friend of mine will probably look at him and go "awww! cute <3"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do agree Rorschach, there are probably more animals out there in zoos that are there for the best and get treated wonderfully (better than they would any other way). I can't imagine what would happen to some of these creatures if they didn't have people who put them into zoos to "fall back on." However I just simply don't like the feel of things when I go to zoos. Especially if you go to a caged animal like a tiger or wolf where they are pacing back and forth in an enclosure smaller than my living room nonstop. I guess that's just a bit of extreme hypocrisy on my behalf. I don't want them locked in a cage like that, but I surely don't want them being killed by some prick out in their natural habitat for the fur on their body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gorilla was my favorite animal in my childhood, and still is. The enormous force they have, the power, the agility..it's incredible!
    Nice pick for AotD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the insightful comments on my last blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The last 2 pics are amazing! is like the gorilla knows what's going on! I too love primates I feel like they can understand us but they are not able to answer xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is probably thinking about how to kick your ass :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorillaz, monkees and apes in general are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots! I wish we had a gorilla here at the zoo in town but fortunately im moving to a bigger city....i dunno they are just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice but he'd look better in the wild :/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful shots, Veggie, I can't help but feel so very heartbroken and impotent of power when I see caged animals. Especially such a powerful, noble beast like this intelligent man. I know what you mean though, when I was stationed in Fort Hood, I used to drive out to Fort Worth now and then on the weekends.

    I've been in that exact spot, Veggie my friend. and that's kinda cool.
    -JKane

    ReplyDelete