Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Greatest Movie (Documentary) - EVER



The greatest movie I have ever seen. And I have seen a lot of movies. I'm not some self-proclaimed movie buff who has seen all the trendy and "unknown" trendy movies over the past five years. I'm a self-proclaimed movie buff who has been into film for decades. So when I say this is my favorite movie, I don't say it lightly.




A lot of people don't even consider documentaries when asked what their favorite movie is, nor do they even know of a documentary can hold a candle to their current favorites. You know the "Island Game?" Where you are asked what 5 items you would take if stranded on an island? If I can type hypothetically for a second my items would be:

  1. A television (my island has conveniently located power outlets)
  2. A DVD player
  3. A copy of American Movie
  4. A backup copy of American Movie
  5. A first aid kit (in case I cut my finger)

To sum this up, I love this film.

American Movie follows Mark Borchardt over a period of time while he struggles to write, direct, and produce his own movie - Northwestern. But as with most people, things don't always turn out the way you'd like. His problems come in the form of an ex wife, debt, a lack of funding, a lack of resources, a scarcity of cast and crew, alcoholism, and depression. Luckily for Mark his problems are faced with his own strong brand of enthusiasm (which is actually contagious) and his faithful friend, Mike Schank. 



Even after nearly 100 views I'm still met with the same emotions when watching American Movie. It's easy to sympathize with Mark. To laugh with him. To get upset with him. To get angry with him. To feel like this world is just not made for you and all you can do is carve out your own little section of it and say, "Fuck off, this is where I'm staying." Or, in the words of Mark:

It's alright! It's ok! There's something to live for! Jesus told me so!

14 comments:

  1. I can't say I've ever seen it, but I'l be sure to check it out. Thanks for the referral man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it better than "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything is better than Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog, man!

    Hope you`ll check out mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great! Hope to see you click in my blog soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and maybe for more than 20 seconds this time perhaps, or it wont work :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw that movie a while back, talk about some neck beards. "I think it's pronounced COVen, not COEven" lolol

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm. movie buff. recommend me some good sci-fi?
    XD
    luv&$

    ReplyDelete
  9. guy on the right looks slightly like ron jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I gotta check this out. Other people I know have nothing but praise for it.

    ReplyDelete