Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Animal of the Day - 10.26.2010





In honor of my, now 201, followers, the Animal of the Day will be one of my favorite animals: the squirrel. And this isn't just any ol' squirrel. This is Squirrellee. 

I used to have a squirrel and bird feeder right outside where families of bluejays, cardinals, finches, sparrows, and squirrels would come to hang out and get their eat on. I always noticed this one little squirrel, with a piece missing out of its right ear (probably from a fight with another squirrel). For months this squirrel kept coming back to jump into the bird feeder and eat as much as it could. One day, while sitting outside, I noticed this squirrel started making its way down the tree towards the feeder. It noticed me, but kept coming anyway. Over the next couple of weeks it learned to trust me and would eat out of my hand and even let me pet it. I then named her Squirrellee, and she was my friend. 

It's been a long time since I've seen Squirrellee. She's either dead now or moved on to find a nicer vegetarian guy to feed her. Either way, she was awesome - just like all of you.



26 comments:

  1. Gratz man!
    I love squirrel, i love their tail <3
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squirrel are great, when I was in London the ones in the park tried to climb up my leg

    ReplyDelete
  3. They aren't in focus though :( This was the first day she actually let me get this close to her. We were both a bit jumpy. I was afraid she'd sink her teeth in my hand. I have videos, I need to upload them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah..u aint a meat eater so ur not even gonna eat the dang thang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww i love squirrels! I wish I could have a domesticated squirrel for a pet :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 201 followers! I haven't seen a squirrel in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ye yeyeee quite squirells. They are here in Vancouver everywhere haha. Thanks for sharing and congrats on the followers! Supporting u bro! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute!!! I always wanted a squirril as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Squirrels are awesome. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thats awesome you got close enough to take those

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last photo was the last thing A-Veg saw before the squirrel killed him and took over his online identity.

    Now it's storing away kidney stones for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice, I've never seen one in real life

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's always a ton running across the fence in my backyard, I watch them sometimes. Grats on the followers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey I'm a squirrel lover!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute little squirrel. My brother feeds the squirrels outside my house here. He's got a bag of peanuts just for them. And my sister had at one time or another a grey squirrel and two red squirrels. The grey was the coolest of the three. If you put your arms out he'd run back and forth along them and past your neck. As for the red squirrels, they'd just kick back and eat Cocoa Krispies. Loved those things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Randy Weezner - Nope, not gonna eat them! But my neighboring state sure loves to eat them =|

    @Rorschach - Don't be surprised when you're attacked by squirrels throwing kidney stones.

    @BunnySMG - That's hilarious! I'm also jealous. I wish I could borrow those squirrels. Maybe you can send their offspring this way. Although the tree outside that all the animals loved is no longer there, so I wouldn't have any animal visitors even if I had food out there :(

    ReplyDelete