Saturday, October 30, 2010

Animal of the Day - 10.30.2010











Weekends are always busy for me, and this weekend/today is no exception. I usually try to post something I find more substantial that my usual posts, whether it be the amount of pictures or just the content. So today I've decided to share some of my favorite pictures. I hope you enjoy them.

This little guy is an Io moth caterpillar. Exactly one month ago I was at an outdoor concert at the local arboretum (the same place this little thing was growing). I noticed this little guy walking past me on the ground. I was happy to see it, like I am with most creatures, so I got a stick and let it crawl on it to take pictures. The spines on the caterpillar contain poison, but I touched it anyway to see how I would react. Nothing happened. I think I stared at this guy for a good 10 minutes before I realized I probably looked like some weirdo to all the people around me, so I put him on a tree and said goodbye. Kind of neat to think that it'll eventually turn into this:



I hope everyone has a good Halloween weekend. I'll be posting one little picture tomorrow in celebration of the day, nothing major. And I'll be resuming my active blog trolling by Monday to catch up with everyone. 




I wish I had run into this guy.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the high quality pics. I'm positive I've seen the lo moth before, just cant remember where.
    helluva metamorphosis too never seen those colors before

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I've never seen that type of caterpillar before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO cool! the last one scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol rancour, just noticed that was Fedor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have talent if you took those pictures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lies! That thing is a plant. heh

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen that type of caterpillar before

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute lil feller. thought he was a leaf at first!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a really cool caterpillar! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg I want that caterpillar!!!

    never seen one in my backyard ;(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm pretty sure these fellows can't be seen in Portugal, they have a really strange design, but look somehow friendly to me. Hope the picnic was good, have a great Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if I've seen one of those before, I seem to remember these spiny little black grubs from way back when that may be a related species... but I digress.

    That thing is awesome, I'd get lost staring into it. The structures of its spines and colors it boasts (very good colors for sunlight, I'd imagine) had me locked into these pictures for a few minutes. Lol.

    ReplyDelete