Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Random Photo of the Day - 12.21.2010


This random photo comes from good ol' Rorschach from Rorschach Redemption. 

I love this photo for many reasons. 1) Aside from looking amazing from all the elements in the actual picture, this is actually a picture of what was once a canal lock. Technically it still is a canal lock, but something tells me it isn't getting much use anymore. 

A canal lock in work. Also a horse with a hat?

2) This photo invokes many thoughts/feelings/memories. Rorschach says that, "Despite being an adult he can pretend those gates lead into some post apocalyptic world / wasteland a la the Book of Eli or Fallout." I agree 100%. Having just replayed Half-Life 2 a few months ago it reminds me of the very long "canal system" stage of the game. I think some of the graffiti in the picture actually says "Beware of Head Crabs." But that could be referring to something completely different. 

I hope all of you are having a great holiday. I'm currently out of town visiting my family and some of my girlfriend's family. It's been fun and crazy. I'll be catching up with some of you as time allows, so don't think I'm neglecting you. 

20 comments:

  1. Spent a lot of time mucking around on canals as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sucio - your pun is not lost.

    I know A-Veg is just trying to protect my whereabouts, but if anyone is interested, here are the exact coordinates: 40.126081,-74.840348

    The whole trail is worth the drive (if you are coming from Philly or Jersey, that is.)

    There is treasure! Survive the big boss "Stab-For-A-40-Ounce-Of-Beer" and his paintball-gun wielding minions, and all the nasty infected Bristol whores can be your prize!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very nice photo, but unsettling for myself. Not a fan of tight corridors and half opened doors. That aside, everyone has their own thoughts/translations of a photo.

    Enjoy your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. >I hope all of you are having a great holiday.

    It's alright. Enjoy your holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo! Interesting how the things we build decay into a horrible eyesore without responsibility and maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha that Rorscach fellow certainly likes to turn up in strange places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disgusting place, photo makes it look better

    ReplyDelete
  8. creepy, but still kind of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It reminds me of a recent episode of It's always sunny in Phil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post man, I always enjoy coming to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's a cool pic, living in canada i had no idea what a canal lock is

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is an eerie photo... Rorschach's redemption is a great site. i finally participated today... great blog. followin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes a lot of emotion in that photo. sadness

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a rather interesting picture, very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The animated gif made me go "what?". Anyways, have yourself a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete